Monday, March 18, 2013

Eggs Benny

After a week out of province (with a very slow internet connection), followed by a week of sickness (curse you stupid cold!), I'm finally, FINALLY on the mend and in a blogging mood again!! And since I posted the above image to my facebook close to 2 weeks ago now, promising the miracle recipe soon, I figure that's where I should start!

If you've been following along with my Instagram, you may have seen a post or two about Eggs Benedict. It's been a big year in Eggs Benny for me, I've graduated from first taste, to first attempt at home, to first mastered dish (a.k.a I accomplished a sauce that didn't separate!). You can view the word 'mastered' very lightly in this particular case, but I've experienced many trials and tribulations with this finicky sauce, so I feel I've overcome mountains!! In any case, I can honestly say I've tried many methods, with depressing results, until this blender method changed my life! Ok... so that may sound a tad over-dramatic, but when you know with certainty that you're not going to ruin your sauce, and have to start over again - waste another 3 eggs and a stick and a half of butter - you're not nearly as anxious when preparing it! Shout out to Simply Recipes for the tip!

Anywho, on with the recipe! Since I've also made this several times, I've established a rough timeline of how to prepare the other aspects of the eggs benny dish, so it's all nice and warm when you put it together. If worst comes to worst, heat everything in the microwave for a few seconds before adding the hollandaise, or preheat your oven to a low temp and leave your ingredients in there as you prepare them!





Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp Vinegar
  • 2 English Muffins, divided, toasted and buttered (I prefer whole wheat)
  • 4 slices of Back-Bacon or Thick Cut Ham
  • 4 Eggs (for poaching)
  • 3 Egg Yolks
  • 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
  • 1/2 tsp Salt (only use when using unsalted butter)
  • 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
  • 10 tbsp Unsalted Butter (approx. 1 and 1/4 sticks)

Instructions:

1) First, start by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce your heat to medium-high to maintain a rolling, but not vigorous boil. Add the vinegar to the pot. Next, Crack an egg into a small ramekin. Using a spoon, stir the pot water until it creates a spinning current. Lower the ramekin as close to the water as you can and gently/swiftly dump the egg into the centre of the spinning current. Set your timer for 3 minutes.

Remove the egg with a straining spoon and set aside. Continue to repeat this step until you've cooked all 4 eggs.







2) In the meantime, between egg preparation, cook the ham in a small frying pan until both sides are nicely browned.


3) Once your ham is frying, it's time to prep the hollandaise sauce. Add the 3 egg yolks, lemon juice, salt (only if you're using unsalted butter) and cayenne pepper to the blender. Blend on highest speed for 20-30 seconds or until your yolk lightens in colour.



4) Once yolk mixture is ready, measure out your butter into a microwave safe container. I use a large ramekin. Microwave for 20-30 seconds. Take it out and stir until fully melted. You may need to place it back in for another 10-15 seconds depending on your microwave. The goal is for your butter to be melted and a little frothy without large lumps of butter still remaining. Once you've hit the frothy, fully melted texture, you're good to go.

Note: It's much easier and also more accurate to use sticks of butter vs. full blocks






5) Once your butter is out of the microwave, start toasting your English muffins. Then resume your sauce-making. Turn your blender to the lowest speed and slowly pour the butter into the blender. Once it's all in, blend for another 10 or so seconds to ensure it's evenly incorporated. That's it! Your sauce should be thick-ish and beautiful!



6) Finally, build your Eggs Benny! Start with your buttered English Muffin, top with 1 slice of ham, next add your poached egg and spoon with hollandaise!



Now that I have my timing down, I've mastered the egg-poaching and I've mastered the not-so-intimidating (after all) sauce, Eggs Benny has become a true treat at home vs. a stressful ordeal! I hope that others out there like me, who had nearly sworn off making this at home, will give this a try. Not only is it an easy and quick way to make the sauce, you dirt fewer pots than the double boiler method. Can't complain about that!






2 comments:

  1. Your eating raw egg. You need to use a double boiler or cook it in a bowl over simmering water before you can eat it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. However, I've never been bothered by the thought of eating raw eggs... after all, I eat them often when making cookie dough! ;)

      With that said, it definitely is something to consider for anyone hesitant about raw eggs. This recipe may not be for them.

      Delete