Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Frozen Banana Treats

While searching Pinterest for some summery treats, I came across these quick and simple frozen banana pops (originally on the blog Recipes under 400). I like them because you can literally make them in ten minutes, and you don't have to wait a day or more before you can eat them (one of the reasons I've yet to make homeade ice cream - I'm more of an instant gratification kinda gal).

I also like the fact that they're customizable; the original recipe called for plain greek yogurt to be flavoured with cinnamon - I opted for vanilla greek yogurt and cinnamon coated praline pecans. It's really up to you, on how you decide to make them, you can even spruce them up with some chocolate chips, or toasted coconut, or both?! Which now that I suggest that, I'm wondering why I never thought of it earlier!

I made two different versions of this treat (only because I ran out of the praline pecans and needed to improvise). Option 1 was me improvising with chopped almonds and brown sugar, while Option 2 is the Praline Pecan version.




 Ingredients - Option 1
  • 1 Banana, halved
  • 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt - I used Vanilla Greek Yogurt
  • 1/2 cup Chopped Nuts of your choice - I used almonds
  • 1 tblsp brown sugar

Ingredients - Option 2
  • 1 Banana, halved
  • 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt - Vanilla
  • 1/2 cup Cinnamon Praline Pecans
Note: Be sure your bananas aren't overly ripe, as they won't stand up to the stick!

 
Instructions

1) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2) Cut your banana in half and insert Popsicle sticks. If you don't have any around, get creative, I used chop sticks!

3) If using plain nuts, first roughly chop them, then add brown sugar and continue chopping until nuts are finely chopped (this will nicely combine the sugar with the nuts). Otherwise, if you're using a flavoured nut, finely chop.

4) Dip the banana in the yogurt ensuring it's completely covered. Next roll it in the chopped nuts and place on the parchment paper.

5) Allow bananas to freeze for 1-2 hours before fully set. Then prepare yourself for a creamy treat.





No comments:

Post a Comment