So a few months back I took the plunge and gave into the hype surrounding Quinoa. For those of you not 100% familiar with Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah), check out Chatelaine Magazine for more on its benefits. It really is a great little grain-like friend to have in your kitchen. It's as versatile as rice and pasta, and can be so easily infused with flavour!
Though I will admit, it was a bit of a struggle to find at the grocery store. It took 3 failed shopping trips, scouring the aisles of 2 separate supermarket chains, to finally stumble across it in the Organics section. Heads up - check there first!
Once acquired, I put the quinoa to work in a recipe I found in my absolute favourite cookbook, The Looneyspoons Collection. More specifically it was entitled: 'Moroccan and Rollin' Quinoa Salad. This was a delicious salad with so much flavour, I cant wait to make it again! Enjoy.
|The Looneyspoons Collection Moroccan and Rollin' Quinoa Salad|
- 1 cup uncooked Quinoa
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp liquid honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup canned no-salt-added chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup each finely chopped red bell pepper, grated carrots and peeled, diced English cucumber
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp minced fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium pot, combine first 8 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer approximately 20 minutes or until the quinoa has absorbed all liquid.
- Remove from heat & let stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and leave uncovered until completely cool.
- When quinoa is completely cool, transfer to large mixing bowl. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Mix well and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.